March 2021 Skills Institute – Strengthening Skills for Equity
March 2021 Skills Institute
Strengthening Skills for Equity
March 2, 4, 9, and 11
Building on highly successful Skills Institutes held in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020, the National MCH Workforce Development Center and the Maternal Health Learning and Innovation Center will offer a free, virtual Skills Institute in March 2021.
Gather a team of colleagues who are ready to improve their capacity and skills to move toward equity and join experts from the MCH WDC and the MHLIC on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (ET) over two consecutive weeks. Engage with speakers and other participants via the online platform. There will also be optional opportunities to connect with Center experts between the sessions for tailored support.
Strengthening Skills for Equity Skills Institute participants will:
- Expand and deepen their understanding of the equity issues facing the maternal and child health population in their organization/agency, their state, and the nation.
- Learn how to recognize and address issues of equity in everyday practice, creating more equitable organizational culture and programs/policies.
- Learn from individuals and organizations who are successfully implementing systematic approaches to achieving equity.
- Gain an appreciation that strengthening equity skills is an ongoing process and know how to find resources to support this journey.
Join us from 2:00 to 5:00 pm EST
Tuesday, March 2
Thursday, March 4
Tuesday, March 9
Thursday, March 11
*Note that participants are encouraged to attend all four days, as content for each day will build on that of previous days.
Who Should Apply?
The event is open to:
- State and jurisdictional Title V professionals and their partners
- Rural Maternity and Obstetrics Management Strategies (RMOMS) teams and partners
- State Maternal Health Innovation (State MHI) teams and partners
We strongly encourage you to apply with a team of colleagues (maximum of 10 people) ready to collaborate and work together. States with a State MHI program may send teams from both the Title V and State MHI programs. Individuals may apply, but may find that it’s easier to make progress with the support of a team. Please feel free to invite partners outside of your agency/organization that are integral to equity work in your state. People with lived experience, family, and consumer partners are especially encouraged to participate with their state team. For State MHI and RMOMS teams, this event will serve as the Spring Learning Institute from the Maternal Health Learning and Innovation Center.
How is a Skills Institute Different from Other Events?
The Institute will expose you to new thinking, tools and knowledge. The Institute format will allow for immediate application of the learning to your own work, through participation in highly interactive sessions with opportunities to apply the skills and tools right away.
Set aside this time to work on advancing equity and improving your capacity to improve equity in your state. Throughout the Institute you’ll be supported by peers, Center coaches and experts who will provide feedback, encouragement and resources.
“The breakout time to apply the tools to something we are working on and learn more hands on about how to use it for other areas of our work was so valuable. Thank you to your staff for being great facilitators during this time. ”
– November 2020 Virtual Skills Institute Participant
Note that the application period will close no later than February 16. The application period may close earlier, due to high levels of interest.
For more information, contact Rebecca Greenleaf, Training Coordinator for the National MCH Workforce Development Center, at Rebecca_Greenleaf@unc.edu or Alice Pollard, Training Coordinator for the Maternal Health Learning and Innovation Center, at AlicePollard@unc.edu.